Glades Electric Cooperative is deeply committed to the growth and prosperity of the counties it serves. The Trustees, Management and Employees of GEC are available to assist, not only its member/owners, but anyone who needs assistance in the area of economic development. We work closely with a number of Chambers of Commerce as well as Economic Development Councils in order to provide assistance and information as needed. The following list is offered for your convenience:
- Clewiston Chamber of Commerce 863-983-7979
- LaBelle Chamber of Commerce 863-675-0125
- Lake Placid Chamber of Commerce 863-465-4331
- Greater Sebring Chamber of Commerce 863-385-8448
- Chamber of Commerce of Okeechobee County 863-467-6246
- Glades County Economic Development Council 800-226-4024
- Hendry County Economic Development Council 863-675-6007
- Highlands County Economic Development Commission 863-453-2818
- Business Development Board of Okeechobee 863-467-6246
For further information about GEC or the 4 counties we serve, contact our Business Development Department at 800-226-4024.
A Diverse Customer Base
Glades Electric Cooperative serves a variety of customers. Unlike many electric cooperatives, our customer base is over 30% commercial/industrial. This segment of customers range from the small independent business to multi-megawatt loads. We are very proud of the fact that our professional employees are able to satisfy virtually any question that arises from this class. Although we are small in number of employees, we maintain a list of consultants in a variety of fields that we readily call upon when a need arises. Our commitment is simple; if a member/owner has a problem, we want to resolve it as soon as possible.
We serve a variety of commercial/industrial customers:
- Small convenience stores
- Home town grocery stores
- Two Seminole Indian Reservations (Big Cypress and Brighton)
- Three Sand Mine Operations:
- Vulcan – Witherspoon Plant
- CSR Rinker – Palmdale Mine & Plant
- Ortona Sand – Ortona Plant
- Two Mulch Plants
- 7L- Lykes
- Oldcastle Lawn and Garden
- Southern Gardens Citrus - a major state of the art citrus processing plant
- CCA – Moore Haven Correctional Facility
- Highlands Greenhouses
- U. S. Sugar
- City of Moore Haven
- Citrus Groves
- Cattle Ranches
- Dairy Farms
- Retirement RV and Mobile Home Parks
- Processing and Packaging plants:
- Magnolia Packing
The list could go on, but I'm sure you can see that our customer base is very diverse. This very diversity causes us to strive to "keep up" with technology and industry needs to provide the assistance required of this group of customers.
Glades Electric Cooperative's commitment to you is to provide the most reliable power supply at the most economical cost. The key to this involves multiple facilities (to offer fast, efficient services), redundancy in transmission service, distribution service, transformers, safety equipment and even our vehicles which must be designed to meet a variety of needs mandated by the South, Central Florida environment.
- Should you need specialized electrical service, our Engineering staff is trained to meet your need.
- If special metering is needed, our Meter Foreman is waiting to provide this product as required.
- How about back up power? We have solved the problem of emergency power for large industrial needs and have two existing customers benefiting from a stand-by generator program.
- Consumers may choose either overhead or underground service.
- We offer electric service at a variety of standard voltages, both single-phase and three-phase to meet the requirements of your project.
Glades Electric Cooperative's rates are very competitive, and we are committed to keeping our rates as low as possible. We have no stockholders that expect dividends from profits – only member/owners to serve as economically as possible. Our five largest industrial customers (from 600 kW billing load to 8,000 kW billing load), are so impressed with our rate contracts and method of service that they have signed long term contracts to assure that GEC remains their power supplier. Our No. 1 objective each year for Strategic Planning is to strive to reduce rates. Over the last two years we have implemented rate decreases when other utilities are still raising their rates.
Whatever your needs, whatever your requirements, whatever your objectives, Glades Electric Cooperative is ready to partner with you as "Neighbors Working for Neighbors". Give us a call, we want to help.